COM 135 Spring 2019
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dr. Petroski
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 2218
https://com135.forumotion.com

Web IQ Quiz Empty Web IQ Quiz

Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm
The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. They conduct public opinion polling, demographic research, content analysis and other data-driven social science research. One major area of focus is the Internet & Technology. Recently, they administered a survey related to adult user knowledge about the internet. For this exploration...

1. Take the online quiz they have related to this study at http://www.pewinternet.org/quiz/web-iq-quiz/. (Don't peak at the results beforehand! That's cheating! And it ruins the fun.) At the end your score will be compared against the survey results.
  2. Post your score here...don't be embarrassed...there's no grade connect to your score. Did this surprise you? What questions tripped you up? Do you know the answers now? If not...maybe someone in class can fill you in.
  3. What utility does this have for our understanding of online communication? (Hint: How does it relate to your experience? What does it tell us about the larger context of online communication?)
alexismpeck
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 1780

Web IQ Quiz Empty Web IQ Results

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I got 6 out of 12 answers correct on the study. I dont believe that the website was working correctly as I was unable to see my answers in comparison to the survey result, but either way I was interested to see how little I actually know about the huge important topics that relate to the Internet. While I knew the questions about Social Media like Twitter, I was unable to answer any historically based questions. I did not know that Mosaic was the first web browser released. I was also unaware of Moore’s Law. I am a bit shocked at the fact that I was incorrect in thinking that companies were ensuring to keep information confidential when they post a privacy policy. I also thought it was funny and interesting that I truly had no idea what URL stood for even though it is something I hear used almost daily. This survey showed me that even though I have almost completed this course on online communication, I still have a lot to learn on my own. There is a lot of basic information about the internet that I am simply unaware of. Even though I was unable to see my results compared to the survey, I have a feeling that I am not much different than most other people that use the internet daily. Though I may understand how to use social media and for the most part am able to effectively communicate online, this survey showed me that I do not know much about what is really going on when I am using my online resources. We are of course not yet taught this information in school, but I do believe that after taking this survey, we should all be better educated on how the Internet works and its basics rules and ideas.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum